The Phone Call I Was Hoping For
A few Saturdays ago, we were racing against time on one of our construction projects.
The client had set the completion date. The painters were finishing the last walls. Electricians were chasing wires through ceilings. The plumbers insisted they only needed "another hour," a unit of time that, in construction, bears very little relationship to sixty actual minutes.
Every trade believed they were waiting for someone else.
The tilers were waiting for the painters.
The painters were waiting for the electricians.
The electricians were waiting for a delivery.
And somewhere in the middle of it all, I was waiting for a phone call.
It was an important call.
The kind that could determine whether the next phase of the project would move smoothly or become an exercise in creative problem-solving. I kept glancing at my phone every few minutes. Every vibration made me hopeful. Every notification that turned out to be a promotional text message felt strangely personal.
Morning became afternoon.
Afternoon quietly surrendered to evening.
The phone never rang.
At first, I was frustrated.
Then I realised something.
The project had not stopped because the call had not come.
The fundis were still laying blocks.
Someone was still mixing mortar.
Someone was still cleaning windows.
Someone was still loading rubble onto a wheelbarrow.
Life, quite rudely, had refused to pause simply because I was waiting.
That observation followed me all the way home.
How much of our lives do we spend waiting for phone calls that never come?
We wait for the employer to call with good news.
We wait for the client to approve the quotation.
We wait for the bank to process the loan.
We wait for someone to apologise.
We wait for someone to notice our effort.
We wait for circumstances to become perfect.
Sometimes we wait so long that waiting quietly becomes our occupation.
There is nothing wrong with expecting an answer.
The danger comes when we postpone living until the answer arrives.
I have met people whose lives have been on hold for years.
"I'll start the business once I get funding."
"I'll go back to school when things settle down."
"I'll travel when I have more time."
"I'll be happy when..."
The sentence is always waiting for the next phone call.
Life, however, has very little sympathy for postponed living.
It keeps moving.
Children grow up.
Parents grow older.
Opportunities quietly expire.
The calendar stubbornly refuses to wait for our convenience.
One of the lessons construction has taught me is that good site managers always have another task ready.
If the steel has not arrived, they work on the drainage.
If the inspection has been delayed, they organise the stores.
If the rain interrupts one activity, they move the team somewhere else.
Progress rarely depends on one thing alone.
Perhaps life should be managed the same way.
Make the phone call.
Send the proposal.
Submit the application.
Then get back to work.
Do not spend the entire day staring at the phone as though your future lives inside the ringtone.
Ironically, some of the best news I have ever received arrived when I had stopped waiting for it.
I was busy doing something else.
Working.
Learning.
Building.
Living.
Perhaps that is because opportunity seems strangely attracted to people who are already in motion.
I never did receive that call that day.
It came much later.
By then, it was no longer the centre of my world because the work had continued.
Looking back, I am almost grateful.
It reminded me that while some doors open because someone calls us, many more open because we kept walking long after the phone remained silent.
So these days, when I find myself waiting for an important answer, I still keep the phone nearby.
But I also keep my hands busy.
Because life has taught me that waiting is inevitable.
Standing still is optional.
And more often than not, tomorrow belongs not to the person who received the phone call first, but to the one who kept working while it was still ringing somewhere in the distance.
Comments
Post a Comment