Why We Remember Kindness Longer Than Success
It was during my gap year and the early university years leading up to graduation that I often find myself thinking about my first job at Outward Bound Mountain School in Loitokitok.
For a young high school graduate, it was an exciting chapter. I was surrounded by Mount Kilimanjaro, endless adventure, and people who seemed capable of hiking up mountains before breakfast and discussing life over a cup of tea before lunch. It was a wonderful place to begin adulthood.
Looking back, I remember many things about those years.
The training.
The expeditions.
The morning runs.
The cold dip in the mornings.
The breathtaking scenery.
But strangely enough, those are not the memories that have stayed with me the longest.
The memories that refuse to fade belong to one man.
His name was Chris, though most of us simply called him CK.
He was our Courses Coordinator, and in many ways, the reason I found myself at Outward Bound in the first place. He, together with KK recruited me, but his kindness did not end with the recruitment gig.
In fact, that was where it quietly began.
Outdoor training is not exactly a forgiving profession for someone whose wardrobe has been assembled on a fresh high school graduate’s budget.
Mountain boots cost money.
Thermal clothing costs money.
Waterproof gear costs money.
Back then, I had enthusiasm in abundance.
Equipment… not so much.
CK seemed to notice, though he never made it uncomfortable.
Every so often, he would quietly pass me a pair of thermal trousers, a fleece jacket, climbing gear, or some other essential piece of outdoor equipment.
There was never a speech.
Never a ceremony.
Never a reminder that I owed him anything.
Just a simple, “Here, you’ll need this.”
On other days, he would casually let me take his mountain bike.
To this day, I cannot remember ever formally asking for it.
He simply trusted me.
At the time, I accepted these gestures with the confidence of someone who is still new to the weight of responsibility.
You know the type.
Someone lends you an expensive mountain bike, and your only concern is whether the tyres are properly inflated.
Only years later do you realize how extraordinary that kind of trust really was.
As I have grown older, something has become increasingly clear.
I remember very little about the achievements people proudly listed on their résumés.
I remember almost everything about how they treated me.
That has led me to believe that kindness has a remarkably long memory.
Success impresses us.
Kindness stays with us.
We celebrate promotions.
We admire wealth.
We applaud awards.
But years later, those details blur.
What remains sharp and unforgettable is the colleague who quietly defended you in a meeting.
The teacher who believed in you before you believed in yourself.
The stranger who offered encouragement when you were close to giving up.
The friend who showed up without being asked.
Those moments become permanent residents in memory.
I have come to think of them as guerrilla kindness.
Not grand gestures designed for attention.
Not generosity staged for photographs or social media.
Just quiet acts of goodness, delivered without announcement.
The kind that interrupts discouragement.
The kind that arrives unexpectedly.
The kind that changes a person’s day or sometimes their entire direction in life without ever making headlines.
CK probably has no idea how much those simple actions shaped me.
To him, they may have felt ordinary.
To me, they were transformative.
They taught me something no leadership seminar ever could.
People grow best where they feel supported.
Not managed.
Supported.
That lesson has followed me into every stage of my life.
Whether on construction sites, in business meetings, or on the farm, I find myself looking for ways to quietly stand in the gap for someone else.
Sometimes it is helping a young employee buy tools.
Sometimes it is giving someone an opportunity they have not yet earned on paper but clearly deserve in potential.
Sometimes it is simply listening.
The older I become, the more convinced I am that the world changes less through dramatic acts and more through ordinary people practicing small kindnesses consistently.
We often underestimate the ripple effect of generosity.
A jacket becomes confidence.
A borrowed bicycle becomes trust.
A few encouraging words become a lifelong memory.
And somewhere along the way, the person who once received kindness quietly begins to pass it on.
Perhaps that is how the world becomes better.
Not through grand revolutions.
But through thousands of quiet acts of guerrilla kindness, moving from one person to another, often without either of them realizing how far the ripple will travel.
I have not seen CK in many years.
Life has taken us in different directions.
But every time I find myself helping someone who is just starting out, I think of those mornings in Loitokitok.
I think of the thermal gear.
The mountain bike.
The quiet generosity.
And I smile.
Because long after titles are forgotten and achievements fade, kindness still finds its way home.
Life rarely ends when a chapter closes; it simply hands you a blank page.
Comments
Post a Comment