Mzee Paul and the Elliott Bread

When I think about my father, my mind always travels about 200 kilometres northwest of Nairobi, to a small village called Mukinyai.

That is where some of my earliest memories were made.

My father, Mzee Paul, worked in Nairobi, so most of the time it was just my mother, my siblings, and me in the village. But every so often, usually under the cover of darkness, he would come home. We rarely saw him arrive. Instead, we woke up to the evidence that he is around.

On the table would be a loaf of Elliott bread. Beside it, perhaps a new pair of shoes or a neatly folded set of clothes.

Today, that may not sound like much. But in our little village, those things were extraordinary. They were more than gifts. They were an announcement.

Dad is home.

Something else changed too.

Our mother became noticeably gentler. Whether she consciously meant to or not, discipline seemed to take a short holiday whenever Mzee Paul was around. We laughed a little louder. We wandered a little further. The house somehow felt safer.

The meals improved too.

Not because my mother suddenly became a better cook, but because my father's presence somehow brought abundance with it. There was meat more often. There was laughter around the fire. Even ordinary evenings felt like celebrations.

Looking back, I realise that children rarely understand the economics of a home. They simply notice how a home feels.

And when my father was around, home felt full.

He was a man people respected, but he never wore that respect heavily. He was approachable, warm, and loved bringing people together. One of my favourite memories is watching him slaughter a goat whenever he came home. Before long, neighbours and relatives would begin drifting in. There would be stories, laughter, and the unmistakable smell of nyama choma filling the air.

It wasn't just a barbecue.

It was his way of saying that good things are meant to be shared.

As we grew older, his gifts became fewer, but his lessons became richer.

He repeated two pieces of advice so often that they became part of who I am.

Never tell lies.

And always finish what you start.

Simple words.

Yet I have discovered that many of life's greatest failures begin with ignoring one of those two principles. Integrity is built one truth at a time. Character is built one finished task at a time.

Then life tested him.

When my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, I watched a different side of my father emerge. The cheerful, easy-going man became even more determined. He worked harder, not for recognition, but to make sure she received the care, comfort, and dignity she deserved.

Love, I learnt, is rarely measured by grand speeches.

It is measured by quiet faithfulness when life becomes difficult.

Today, Mzee Paul is 80 years old.

He still has the same easy smile. The same youthful spirit. The same ability to make people around him feel at ease.

People often ask what children inherit from their parents.

Some inherit land.

Others inherit wealth.

When I think of my father, I realise I inherited something far more enduring.

The memory of Elliott bread on a wooden table.

The warmth of a home made brighter simply because he was present.

The discipline of telling the truth.

The determination to finish what I begin.

And the quiet example that the strongest men are often those who love their families faithfully, long after the applause has faded.

Thank you, Mzee Paul.

Mukinyai gave me my childhood.

But you gave me the values that have carried me far beyond it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road Doesn't Lie

The Hyena That Became Too Refined

Are You Seated Where You Are?