Quality in an "Un-Quality" Mind
There was a time when life was wonderfully simple. Money was scarce, responsibilities were many, and optimism was always in abundant supply.
I had landed what remains, to this day, one of my favorite jobs. I worked as a team-building consultant for a company that was world's ahead of its time. We were a small, close-knit team doing meaningful work in a market where opportunities were few and far between.
Outside the office, life was very different.
I carried significant responsibility for my younger siblings, all of whom were in school. Every shilling had a destination before it even reached my pocket. Luxury wasn't part of the equation. Value for money was.
At the time, I lived in Umoja I, Block K. Every morning, on my way to catch the Route 58 matatu in Buruburu, I walked through Mutindwa, an informal market between Outering Road and Buruburu Phase III Shopping Centre.
That market was a hidden treasure.
Among the many vendors were stalls selling what we affectionately called camera—high-quality second-hand clothes. They were affordable, stylish, and wonderfully unique. You could walk through Nairobi all day without finding someone dressed exactly like you.
One evening I came across what I considered the perfect shirt. It fit me beautifully, looked like it belonged in an expensive boutique, and cost only a fraction of the price of a new one.
I bought it, had it washed and pressed, and looked forward to wearing it to work the next morning.
As soon as I walked into the office, a colleague named Sam noticed it.
"That's a nice shirt," he said.
His compliment made my day.
Proud of my discovery, I enthusiastically told him where I had bought it, how little I had paid, and finished by declaring that it was excellent quality.
Sam listened quietly.
Then he smiled and said something that has stayed with me for decades.
"It's quality in an un-quality mind."
His words landed heavily.
At the time, I wasn't offended as much as I was puzzled. What exactly did he mean?
It took me years to understand.
The shirt wasn't the issue.
Neither was the market.
The conversation was really about standards.
Sam was challenging me to think beyond getting the best deal available. He was asking whether I was making choices based solely on what I could afford at the time, or whether I was also building the habits and mindset of the person I wanted to become.
That distinction changed something in me.
From that day, I made a personal decision that, whenever possible, I would buy new clothes instead of second-hand ones. It wasn't because second-hand clothes were of poor quality—they often weren't. It was because I wanted my purchasing decisions to reflect the standards I was gradually building for myself.
Ironically, I have since bought previously owned vehicles and even property without hesitation, because those assets are judged differently. But when it came to the things I wore every day, I wanted my choices to remind me of the future I was working toward, not just the circumstances I was trying to escape.
Looking back, I realize the shirt was never the lesson.
The lesson was about mindset.
We all make decisions based on the standards we believe we deserve. Sometimes those standards are shaped by our circumstances. Sometimes they're shaped by fear. Sometimes by habit.
But every now and then, someone says something that quietly raises the bar.
For me, it happened over a shirt.
What can we learn from this?
First, our circumstances should inform our decisions, but they should never define our identity. There is a difference between living within your means and believing your means determine your worth.
Second, quality begins in the mind before it appears in your possessions. The standards you set for yourself today will eventually influence your work, your relationships, your finances, and your character.
Third, be careful with the words you speak to others. Sam probably had no idea that one sentence would stay with me for decades. We rarely know which conversations will become turning points in someone else's life.
Finally, never stop examining the beliefs behind your choices. Ask yourself from time to time: Am I choosing this because it's the best decision for me, or because I've convinced myself that it's all I deserve?
Sometimes the greatest upgrade we can make isn't to our wardrobe, our home, or our bank account.
It's to our mindset.
Comments
Post a Comment