The Day Everything Decided to Resign

I have come to believe that some days wake up with a personal agenda.

No matter how carefully you plan, how positive your attitude is, or how many motivational quotes you have read that morning, the day has already made up its mind.

For me, that day was July 8, 2026.

It began at exactly 2:00 a.m.

For reasons known only to my brain, sleep tendered its resignation and quietly left the building. I spent the rest of the night doing what most insomniacs do—convincing myself that if I closed my eyes hard enough, sleep might feel guilty and come back.

It didn't.

Just as dawn was beginning to break, there was a knock at my door.

My neighbour, who runs an outdoor catering business, had a small emergency. Her vehicle had decided that work was optional that morning, and she urgently needed to deliver food to an event.

"Could I borrow your car?" she asked.

Fortunately, she could drive.

I handed over the keys, secretly congratulating myself for performing my good deed before breakfast.

The only problem was that there wasn't going to be any breakfast.

First things first, I needed coffee.

Anyone who knows me understands that coffee is less of a beverage and more of a peace treaty between me and the rest of the world.

I walked into the kitchen, reached for the kettle, switched on the electric cooker...

Nothing.

No power.

Now, to be fair, power outages are quite rare in my neighbourhood these days, so I wasn't too worried.

I smiled.

"This," I thought, "is exactly why sensible people own gas cookers."

Feeling rather pleased with my preparedness, I placed the kettle on the gas stove, lit the burner, and settled down to catch up on the morning news while waiting for the water to boil.

A few moments later something felt... suspiciously quiet.

No bubbling.

No comforting sound of heating water.

Just silence.

I looked at the burner.

The gas cylinder had chosen that exact morning to empty itself.

I stood there staring at it, wondering whether appliances hold secret meetings where they coordinate these things.

The coffee plan officially collapsed.

It wasn't just a failure.

It was the kind of defeat that leaves commentators searching for polite words.

By then my neighbour had returned my car, and it was time to head to site.

The day, I optimistically assumed, had surely exhausted its surprises.

It hadn't.

I stopped briefly at my first project, performed what many site managers politely refer to as "management by walking around"—or, as we affectionately call it, Mbwa Management—checked on progress, answered a few questions, nodded knowingly at things that looked important, and then set off for Project Number Two, a couple of hours away.

Somewhere along the journey my stomach decided to file an official complaint.

Which was rather unfair.

I had barely eaten anything all day, so technically there wasn't much there to complain about.

Still, I took the hint.

I found a pleasant hotel, ordered a meal, gave my stomach the attention it clearly felt it deserved, and continued to the second site.

Everything went smoothly.

For a brief moment I thought perhaps the day had finally decided to forgive me.

On the drive home, I chose a shorter back road.

You already know where this is going.

It was dusty.

It was rough.

The climbs were steep.

But I was making good time.

Then, about thirty minutes from home, my vehicle calmly informed me that it had reached the end of its workday.

Without warning, it stalled.

No dramatic explosion.

No smoke.

Just quiet resignation.

Around here we don't exactly enjoy the luxury of roadside assistance arriving within fifteen minutes.

Instead, we rely on an older and remarkably reliable system.

You call a friend...

Who knows another friend...

Who knows someone with a tow truck.

Eventually help arrived.

By then darkness had settled in, the July evening had turned noticeably cold, and I had accumulated enough dust to qualify as part of the surrounding landscape.

The vehicle was towed to a nearby garage, and I finally made it home.

Thirsty.

Dusty.

Hungry.

And carrying a sleep debt that had now become legally significant.

A hot shower felt like the greatest invention since electricity—which, considering how my morning had begun, felt mildly ironic.

Then I remembered another small detail.

There was still no cooking gas.

Cooking wasn't an option.

So I decided to order food from my neighbour's catering team.

They didn't answer immediately, so I left a message.

"Perfect," I thought.

"I'll just sit down for a few minutes while I wait."

History has taught us that those words are among the most dangerous ever spoken.

I sat down.

Sleep, which had abandoned me at two o'clock that morning, suddenly remembered my address.

The betrayal was immediate.

When I finally opened my eyes, it was well past midnight.

My phone displayed several missed calls.

The catering team had spent considerable effort trying to deliver my meal.

Unfortunately, we had been conducting two completely different operations.

They were looking for me.

I was busy negotiating peace with my pillow.

The food never arrived.

And so, after a day that had successfully defeated electricity, gas, my car, my sleep schedule, and my dinner plans...

I went to bed hungry.

Looking back now, I can't help but laugh.

Days like these have a curious way of restoring our perspective.

They remind us that life doesn't always unfold according to carefully prepared schedules.

Sometimes the kettle doesn't boil.

Sometimes the car refuses to move.

Sometimes dinner never arrives.

And sometimes the only thing left to do is laugh, get some sleep, and trust that tomorrow will wake up in a slightly better mood.

After all, even the worst day eventually runs out of hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road Doesn't Lie

The Hyena That Became Too Refined

Are You Seated Where You Are?