The Hard Hat and the Halo

Construction has introduced me to every kind of person imaginable.

Engineers who could calculate a retaining wall in their heads but couldn't find their tape measure.

Fundis who never finished secondary school yet could look at a building and tell you exactly where it would crack five years from now.

Labourers who arrived before sunrise every morning without owning a watch.

And, every once in a while, a pastor carrying a Bible in one hand and a quotation for painting works in the other.

This particular story begins with a recommendation.

A longtime acquaintance of mine, someone I have worked with on several projects and whose judgment I generally trust, spoke highly of a subcontractor. As if that wasn't enough, he added another detail.

"He is also a pastor."

I must confess, that made me relax a little.

Perhaps it shouldn't have.

Like many people, I quietly assumed that someone who preached every Sunday would surely be dependable from Monday to Saturday.

How wrong I was.

He arrived at the site with confidence, warm greetings, and enough charm to make you think the project was already half complete. We agreed on the price for the interior and exterior painting, defined the scope of work, selected the colours, shook hands, and got started.

Construction, however, has a remarkable way of introducing you to someone's character long before it introduces you to the finished product.

From the very beginning, reliability became the problem.

He arrived late.

Then he failed to arrive altogether.

Promises made in the morning quietly expired by the afternoon.

"We'll finish that section tomorrow."

Tomorrow came and went.

"I'll be on site first thing."

First thing became lunchtime.

Lunchtime became the next day.

Eventually, the project felt less like painting a building and more like trying to predict the weather. Every day began with hope and ended with an excuse.

To make matters worse, the quality of the work never justified the delays.

Paint dripped where it shouldn't.

Some walls received one coat when they clearly needed two.

Edges wandered where they should have been straight.

Instead of clean finishes, we found ourselves making lists of areas that needed to be redone.

Ordinarily, these are straightforward conversations.

Construction sites are built on corrections. We point out defects, fix them, and move on.

This site was different.

One detail puzzled me throughout the project.

He was not the sort of person who constantly spoke about faith. In fact, during ordinary conversations, religion hardly came up. We discussed paint, scaffolding, deadlines, measurements and materials like any other team.

But something changed whenever accountability entered the conversation.

Ask why a section hadn't been completed, and suddenly a Bible verse would appear.

Raise concerns about workmanship, and the discussion drifted toward mercy and forgiveness.

Question a missed deadline, and before long we were talking about grace instead of the wall that still needed painting.

At first, I thought it was coincidence.

Then I began to notice a pattern.

Scripture only seemed to appear when uncomfortable questions did.

It wasn't being used to illuminate the conversation.

It was being used to redirect it.

Slowly, the focus shifted away from unfinished work and toward my response as a fellow believer. Instead of discussing why commitments had not been honoured, I found myself almost being made to feel guilty for expecting them to be honoured in the first place.

It was subtle.

Very subtle.

If I insisted on quality, I was being impatient.

If I demanded timelines, perhaps I lacked grace.

If I questioned payments, maybe I wasn't walking in forgiveness.

It took me a while to realise what was happening.

The issue was no longer the paint.

The issue had become my conscience.

Looking back, I now recognize it for what it was: an attempt to replace accountability with guilt. The work wasn't improving, but somehow I was the one being made to feel uncomfortable for asking perfectly reasonable questions.

That troubled me.

Not because of the Scriptures themselves.

I have deep respect for the Bible.

But because anything sacred loses something when it is used to avoid an honest conversation.

Then came the disappearing act.

One day he simply stopped coming to site.

Phone calls went unanswered.

Messages disappeared into what I can only assume was a very remote part of heaven's network coverage.

Eventually I called the friend who had introduced us.

Even he couldn't find him.

Then another surprise arrived.

His own painters came looking for us.

Not to continue the project.

To explain that they had stopped working because he had not paid them.

I have learned many things on construction sites.

One of them is this: when your subcontractor's employees are looking for the client because they cannot find their own boss, the project has already entered dangerous territory.

After several unsuccessful attempts to resolve the matter, we terminated the subcontract and brought in another team to complete the work.

Ironically, the replacement painters quietly did in days what weeks of excuses had failed to accomplish.

The walls were painted.

The defects disappeared.

The project moved on.

I assumed the story had ended.

Instead, my phone suddenly became very active.

Bible verses.

Long messages.

Accusations that I was withholding his money.

Appeals to mercy.

References to God's justice.

Curiously absent from those messages was any discussion about unfinished work, unpaid employees or poor workmanship.

Again, the conversation kept circling back to how I ought to behave as a believer.

It struck me how easy it is to use something sacred to make another person doubt themselves.

The older I become, the more convinced I am that genuine faith should produce the opposite effect.

It should make us easier to trust.

Quicker to admit mistakes.

More willing to honour agreements.

More eager to make things right.

Not more skilled at avoiding difficult conversations.

Over the years, I have worked with atheists, Muslims, Christians, traditionalists and people whose beliefs I never even knew.

If I am honest, some of the easiest people to work with have never once mentioned religion.

They simply arrive when they say they will.

They keep their word.

Pay their workers.

Solve problems.

Accept correction.

Finish what they started.

Their sermons are delivered with actions rather than quotations.

Perhaps that is why this experience has stayed with me.

It reminded me that faith is most convincing before it is ever spoken.

Long before the Bible is opened.

Long before a verse is quoted.

It is seen in reliability.

In honesty.

In humility.

In keeping promises when nobody is watching.

Construction has taught me many lessons over the years.

One of the most important is this:

Fresh paint can hide many imperfections on a wall.

But no amount of paint can cover cracks in character.

Life rarely ends when a chapter closes; it simply hands you a blank page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road Doesn't Lie

The Hyena That Became Too Refined

Are You Seated Where You Are?