What My Farm Taught Me About Leadership
Over the past two weeks, my farm has been unusually busy.
Three of my cows have each given birth to healthy bull calves.
Not to be outdone, two of my Dorper ewes decided to raise the stakes by delivering twins.
If farms kept score, I suspect the sheep would currently be leading.
There is something deeply satisfying about walking through the shed early in the morning and seeing young calves trying to figure out how their legs work, while little lambs bounce around with an enthusiasm that suggests they have not yet been introduced to gravity.
For a brief moment, everything feels abundant.
The future looks promising.
The investment seems worthwhile.
Of course, anyone who has spent time farming knows better than to celebrate too loudly.
The same farm that gives you three calves this month may decide that next month is reserved for broken water pipes, stubborn diseases, soaring feed prices, or a borehole pump that chooses the hottest day of the year to stop working.
Farming has a remarkable way of reminding us that life moves in seasons.
There are seasons of abundance.
Seasons of waiting.
Seasons of loss.
And, if you stay long enough, seasons of restoration.
Perhaps leadership is not very different.
One of the people who understands this better than I do is Eric, who helps oversee many of the day-to-day activities on the farm.
If you met Eric for the first time, you might not immediately notice anything extraordinary about him.
He is not loud.
He does not make dramatic speeches.
He has never gathered the cows for a motivational seminar, and as far as I know, none of the sheep have requested one.
Instead, he observes.
He notices when a cow has separated herself from the herd.
He notices when an animal has lost its appetite.
He notices a leaking pipe before it becomes a flooded field.
He notices that the tomatoes are asking for water long before they begin protesting publicly by wilting.
Over the years, I have come to appreciate that good farming depends less on reacting and more on paying attention.
Leadership works much the same way.
Many people imagine leadership as giving instructions.
Farming quietly argues otherwise.
The animals do not care about your job title.
The onions are unimpressed by your business card.
The tomatoes have absolutely no interest in your organizational chart.
They simply respond to consistent care.
Miss watering for a few days, and they will let you know.
Neglect the livestock, and they will not wait for the next management meeting to express their dissatisfaction.
Nature is refreshingly honest.
It rewards consistency more than charisma.
That lesson has followed me far beyond the farm.
Whether I am managing a construction project or leading a business, I have discovered that people are not so different.
They thrive when someone notices.
When someone listens.
When someone quietly creates an environment where they can do their best work.
Authority can make people comply.
Service inspires people to contribute.
The farm has also taught me patience.
No matter how often I check on a calf, it will not become a bull overnight.
No amount of encouragement will persuade a banana plant to fruit next week simply because I have an urgent craving.
Growth keeps its own calendar.
That can be frustrating for those of us who like quick results.
I confess I occasionally belong to that group.
Fortunately, the farm has never shown much interest in my preferred timelines.
It politely continues at its own pace.
Leadership requires the same humility.
We plant ideas.
We mentor people.
We build systems.
Then we wait.
Sometimes longer than we would like.
One day, as Eric and I stood watching one of the newborn calves wobble uncertainly behind its mother, he smiled and said, "It thinks it is running."
We both laughed.
From the calf's perspective, it probably was.
From ours, it looked more like an enthusiastic negotiation with the laws of balance.
It reminded me that growth often looks awkward before it looks impressive.
The same is true of people.
The young mason learning his trade.
The new supervisor finding their confidence.
The entrepreneur building a business.
Even leaders themselves.
We all stumble before we stride.
As I left the farm that afternoon, I looked back at the young animals scattered across the fields.
They were a welcome reminder that every season eventually gives way to another.
The difficult months are not permanent.
Neither are the easy ones.
Perhaps that is why I keep returning to the farm whenever life becomes noisy.
It has a quiet way of putting things back into perspective.
It reminds me that leadership is rarely about standing at the front giving orders.
More often, it is about walking through the fields, paying attention, serving faithfully, and trusting that consistent care will produce a harvest in its own time.
The farm has taught me many things.
But perhaps its greatest lesson is this:
The best leaders are not those who demand growth.
They are the ones who create the conditions in which growth quietly becomes inevitable.
Life rarely ends when a chapter closes; it simply hands you a blank page.
Comments
Post a Comment