The Difference Between a Job and a Calling
Last weekend, as I was driving back to Nairobi, I witnessed a road accident.
A boda boda rider collided head-on with an oncoming vehicle. It was one of those moments that unfold so quickly you barely have time to process what has happened. Fortunately, it wasn't fatal, but the injuries were serious. His leg was badly broken, and he was in obvious pain.
A few of us stopped to help.
About two hundred metres from where the accident occurred was a small hospital. We rushed him there, expecting little more than basic first aid before he could be transferred elsewhere.
What happened next surprised me.
The staff sprang into action.
Within moments, they were cleaning his wounds, stabilizing his leg, administering pain medication, and doing everything they could to make him comfortable. There was no debate about paperwork. No discussion about who would pay. No hesitation.
For a brief moment, I forgot I was in the middle of an emergency.
I simply watched people doing what they had been called to do.
After stabilizing him, they arranged for an ambulance to transfer him to a larger hospital with better facilities.
I remember thinking, This is how emergency care is supposed to work.
Unfortunately, that feeling didn't last.
When we arrived at the referral hospital, everything seemed to slow down.
The ambulance pulled in, but there was no sense of urgency.
Perhaps I have watched too many medical dramas on television, but I expected a team of doctors and nurses to be waiting, ready to receive the patient.
Instead, there was... silence.
People stood around.
Questions were asked.
Registration forms appeared.
Someone mentioned payment.
Someone else explained that certain medicines had to be purchased first.
Meanwhile, the young man lay there in agony.
Time seemed to move differently for him than it did for everyone else.
As I stood there, one question kept bothering me.
What changes between the first hospital and the second?
It wasn't a question about buildings.
The larger hospital had better facilities.
It wasn't a question about education.
Surely the staff there were just as qualified.
It wasn't even about government policy.
The people standing before us were ordinary Kenyans who had chosen careers in healthcare.
Somewhere between choosing the profession and practising it, something seemed to have been lost.
As I drove back toward Nairobi later that evening, the radio carried another story that caught my attention.
Some people who had reportedly been injured during disturbances in Ol Kalou claimed they had sought treatment at a public hospital but were turned away. They eventually travelled all the way to Nakuru to receive medical attention.
I wasn't there, so I cannot speak to the full circumstances.
Every story has more than one side.
But hearing that account, only hours after what I had witnessed myself, made me uncomfortable.
It wasn't because of politics.
It wasn't because of policy.
It was because of people.
Over the years, I have worked in construction, farming, and business.
One lesson keeps repeating itself.
Systems matter.
But people matter even more.
A good system in the hands of indifferent people achieves very little.
An imperfect system in the hands of committed people often performs miracles.
I have seen labourers on construction sites who treat someone else's project as though it were their own home.
I have also seen highly qualified professionals who do the absolute minimum required before looking at the clock.
The difference is rarely skill.
It is attitude.
Perhaps that is the difference between having a job and having a calling.
A job asks, "What am I required to do?"
A calling asks, "What does this person need from me?"
The first hospital may not have had the biggest budget or the most sophisticated equipment.
But for those few minutes, they gave that injured man something just as valuable.
They gave him urgency.
They gave him dignity.
They reminded him that someone cared.
Sometimes we spend so much time discussing reforms, budgets, policies, and leadership that we forget something much simpler.
Every one of us serves somebody.
Whether we are nurses, teachers, engineers, police officers, cashiers, site agents, or restaurant waiters, someone else's day is affected by how seriously we take our work.
The truth is, most of us will never write laws or shape national policy.
But every day, we make smaller decisions that quietly shape someone else's experience.
Will I answer that phone?
Will I return that call?
Will I respond with kindness?
Will I treat this person as an inconvenience or as a fellow human being?
Those choices rarely make headlines.
Yet they determine what kind of society we become.
I still think about that boda boda rider.
I hope his leg healed well.
But I also think about the two hospitals.
One reminded me what compassion looks like.
The other reminded me that compassion is never guaranteed by a building, a title, or a profession.
It is a choice.
And perhaps that is where real service begins.
Not with policies.
Not with procedures.
But with ordinary people deciding that another person's pain matters enough to act without being asked.
Sometimes the greatest difference we can make isn't by changing the whole system. It's by refusing to let our own corner of it become indifferent.
Comments
Post a Comment