The River That Refused The Desert

A few weeks ago, I was driving from Loyangalani to Isiolo.

Anyone who has travelled that road knows it is a journey that gives you plenty of time to think. The vastness of the Chalbi Desert stretches before you in every direction. Mile after mile, the landscape hardly changes. Sand, rock, thorn bushes, and the occasional camel seem to exist in quiet agreement with the wind.

There is a strange beauty about the desert.

It is calm.

It is orderly.

It almost feels timeless.

Later that evening, I found myself at Sarova Shaba.

It struck me that the hotel is a remarkable contradiction—a testimony of great wealth in the heart of great poverty. Beyond its gates are communities that have struggled for generations with drought, limited opportunity, and hardship. Inside, there is comfort, abundance, and every convenience one could ask for.

The contrast is difficult to ignore.

It was there, over a long conversation with an elderly local man, that he pointed back toward the desert we had both crossed earlier that day.

"Do you know why it looks so perfect?" he asked.

I admitted that I didn't.

He smiled.

"Because nothing argues with the wind."

For a moment, neither of us spoke.

Then he pointed toward the Ewaso Nyiro River.

Unlike the desert, the river refused to behave.

It twisted around rocks, cut through the landscape, nourished trees, attracted wildlife, and found its own path no matter what stood in its way.

Then he asked another question.

"Which one gives life?"

"The river," I answered.

He nodded.

"Exactly."

A few days later, I found myself driving back to my village in Mukinyai, tucked away in Nakuru County.

The journey stirred a different set of memories.

The steep climb between Salgaa and Kibunja still forces heavily loaded trucks to crawl uphill, engines straining under impossible loads. But what always captures my attention are the homes scattered across the hillsides.

Many of the mud houses I grew up seeing are still there.

Some now have iron-sheet roofs.

A few have grown larger.

But many remain almost unchanged, quietly carrying the weight of families who have worked tirelessly yet continue to live on the edge of poverty.

Every trip home reminds me where I came from.

Poverty is not an abstract idea to me.

It has familiar faces.

It has neighbours whose names I still remember.

It has footpaths I once walked barefoot.

And every visit leaves me asking the same question.

Why do some communities remain trapped generation after generation while others somehow find a way forward?

The old man's words returned to me.

"Nothing argues with the wind."

Perhaps that is true of deserts.

But should it be true of people?

As children, we inherit far more than land and family names.

We inherit beliefs.

Traditions.

Expectations.

Ways of thinking.

Some become our greatest strengths.

Others quietly become invisible boundaries that we mistake for permanent truths.

History suggests that nearly every meaningful change began with someone willing to ask an uncomfortable question.

Someone challenged accepted wisdom.

Someone imagined a different future.

Someone chose curiosity over comfort.

Not because they loved rebellion.

But because they believed life could be better.

Of course, not every tradition deserves to be questioned.

Some preserve dignity.

Some strengthen families.

Some remind us who we are.

Wisdom lies in knowing which roots should anchor us and which ones have begun to hold us back.

As I think about Mukinyai, and as I remember the communities surrounding the Chalbi Desert and the Ewaso Nyiro River, I don't see people lacking determination.

I see hardworking people doing the best they can with the opportunities available to them.

Perhaps what many communities need is not harder work.

Perhaps they need broader horizons.

New ideas.

Better opportunities.

Someone willing to carve a different path.

After all, the Ewaso Nyiro does not give life because it follows a straight line.

It gives life because it refuses to stop moving.

Maybe our lives are meant to do the same.

Where we begin should never become a prison for where we can go.

And perhaps the greatest legacy we can leave is not escaping the places that shaped us, but returning with enough wisdom, courage, and compassion to help carve a new path for those who will one day walk behind us.

Life rarely changes because the landscape is different. More often, it changes because someone chooses to see a different path through it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road Doesn't Lie

The Hyena That Became Too Refined

Are You Seated Where You Are?