Who Really Believes?
Construction sites are fascinating places to observe people.
Every morning begins almost the same way. The first workers arrive while the dew is still on the ground. Someone lights a small fire to boil tea. Another sweeps yesterday's dust from the slab, even though today's work will create twice as much. Before long, the familiar orchestra begins—hammers tapping, grinders screaming, wheelbarrows complaining under the weight of concrete, and someone, somewhere, insisting they measured it correctly the first time.
Spend enough time on a construction site, and you quickly realize that buildings are not the only things under construction.
People are too.
A few weeks ago, while supervising one of our projects, I found myself reflecting on an old story I first heard many years ago.
Whether it is true or not, I cannot say. Like many good stories, its value lies more in the lesson than in its historical accuracy.
The story goes that a church was praying fervently for a bar across the road to close down. Week after week, the congregation prayed that God would intervene.
Then one night, lightning struck.
The bar caught fire and burned to the ground.
The owner, convinced that the church's prayers had caused his loss, sued the church for damages.
When the case reached the judge, something rather amusing happened.
The church denied any responsibility.
"We had nothing to do with it," they argued.
The bar owner insisted otherwise.
"It was their prayers."
The judge supposedly paused before saying something unforgettable.
"I don't know how I'll decide this case, but one thing is already clear. The bar owner believes in prayer more than the church does."
I have always smiled at that story.
Not because it proves anything about prayer.
But because it asks an uncomfortable question.
Do we really believe the things we claim to believe?
That question followed me back to the construction site.
Over the years, I have worked with people from every imaginable background.
Some are deeply religious.
Others rarely speak about faith at all.
Something curious has often caught my attention.
The people who quote Scripture the most are not always the easiest people to work with.
Sometimes they resist new ideas.
Sometimes they dismiss suggestions before hearing them.
Sometimes every conversation begins with, "We've always done it this way."
Meanwhile, one of the quietest fundis on site—who has never once preached a sermon to anyone—will casually solve a problem that had stalled the project for two days.
He experiments.
He adapts.
He listens.
He asks questions.
He isn't afraid to admit he doesn't know something.
It has made me wonder whether humility is one of the most underrated forms of intelligence.
Please don't misunderstand me.
This is not a criticism of faith.
Far from it.
My own faith has shaped many of the values I hold most dearly.
It reminds me that integrity matters.
That every person carries dignity.
That success without character is failure wearing an expensive suit.
But faith, like any gift, can sometimes be misunderstood.
There is a difference between having convictions and becoming unteachable.
Somewhere along the way, certainty can quietly become pride.
And pride has an interesting habit of disguising itself as righteousness.
Construction has taught me that good ideas are wonderfully democratic.
They do not care who discovered them.
Sometimes the best solution comes from the architect.
Sometimes from the engineer.
Sometimes from the mason who has spent thirty years laying blocks under the African sun.
Wisdom is not particularly concerned with job titles.
It simply asks whether someone is paying attention.
I often think innovation works much the same way.
It begins with a simple sentence.
"What if we tried it differently?"
That question has built bridges, cured diseases, and sent people to the moon.
It has also saved more than a few construction projects.
Yet asking that question requires something difficult.
The willingness to admit that our current way may not be the only way.
Perhaps that is where faith and curiosity are meant to meet.
Faith gives us principles.
Curiosity helps us apply them to a changing world.
One without the other leaves us unbalanced.
Principles without curiosity become rigid.
Curiosity without principles loses direction.
The best builders I know possess both.
They stand firmly on solid foundations.
But they are never afraid to learn a better way of laying the next block.
As I walked through the site that afternoon, watching different teams solve different problems in their own way, I realized the judge in that old story may have been asking a question much larger than prayer.
He was asking whether our actions truly reflect our beliefs.
If we believe people matter, do we treat them with dignity?
If we believe learning never ends, are we still willing to learn?
If we believe God created a world full of wonder, are we still curious enough to explore it?
Those questions have no easy answers.
At least not for me.
But perhaps that is the point.
The older I become, the less interested I am in people who have an answer for everything.
I find myself drawn instead to those who hold deep convictions with open hands.
People who can say, "This is what I believe," while still being willing to ask, "What can I learn?"
Because in the end, it is not our certainty that builds better homes, better businesses, or better communities.
It is our willingness to keep building, keep learning, and keep growing.
And maybe the strongest foundations are not laid by people who think they know everything.
They are laid by those humble enough to believe there is always something more to discover.
Comments
Post a Comment