The Forest We Carry Within Us
A few days ago, during one of our conversations at work, the subject of weekend getaways came up. We had all been buried in projects for weeks, and I casually mentioned The Forest, an adventure park tucked away in Kereita Forest.
"It has zip lines," I said, perhaps a little too enthusiastically. "Horse riding, archery, and even billiards."
It sounded like the kind of place that offers a welcome break from deadlines, emails, and the endless ringing of mobile phones. I have always believed there is something therapeutic about nature. It has a way of slowing our thoughts and reminding us that not everything in life needs to move at the speed of a notification.
My assistant, Grace, listened with interest.
"It sounds lovely," she said. "And it's affordable too. I think I would enjoy it."
There was a brief pause before she added something that quietly changed the direction of the conversation.
"But sometimes it isn't about the opportunity being there. It's about overcoming the fears that hold us back."
The room fell silent for a moment.
Grace went on to explain that some of those fears had been with her for as long as she could remember. She told us that even something as simple as sitting outside alone and watching the stars can be difficult because she has a deep fear of darkness, especially when she is by herself.
There was no drama in the way she said it.
No attempt to invite sympathy.
Just an honest admission.
Driving home later that evening, I found myself thinking less about Kereita Forest and more about the invisible forests we all carry within us.
Fear is a curious companion.
It rarely announces its arrival.
Instead, it quietly settles into our lives until, over time, we begin to mistake it for part of our identity.
Some fears are instinctive.
Others are learned.
Many are inherited without us even realizing it.
We inherit them from parents who wanted to keep us safe.
From cultures that teach us what respectable people should and should not do.
Sometimes even from faith—not faith itself, but our understanding of it.
None of those influences are inherently wrong.
Parents are meant to protect.
Culture gives us identity and belonging.
Faith gives us purpose and direction.
Yet I sometimes wonder whether, along the way, caution quietly becomes limitation. Whether traditions meant to guide us occasionally end up confining us. Whether faith, which should inspire courage and trust, is sometimes misunderstood as a reason to avoid uncertainty.
Perhaps the challenge is not to abandon those influences but to discern which fears are protecting us and which are simply preventing us from living more fully.
It also made me wonder how many opportunities quietly pass us by.
Not because we lack ability.
Not because the opportunity never presented itself.
But because a quiet voice inside us keeps whispering, "Maybe not."
For one person, it may be a zip line suspended above a forest.
For another, it is speaking before an audience.
Starting a business.
Changing careers.
Forgiving someone who caused deep pain.
Or simply allowing themselves to hope again after disappointment.
We often imagine courage as something dramatic.
A heroic act.
A grand gesture.
Perhaps it is usually much smaller than that.
Perhaps courage is simply taking the next step while fear is still walking beside you.
I don't know whether Grace will ever find herself soaring above the trees on one of Kereita's zip lines.
Perhaps she will.
Perhaps she won't.
That wasn't really the lesson I took from our conversation.
The lesson was that every one of us carries a forest within.
Some parts are filled with possibility.
Others are occupied by fears we never consciously planted.
The older I become, the less interested I am in judging the fears people carry.
Instead, I find myself admiring honesty.
There is something deeply refreshing about someone who can quietly say, "This is difficult for me."
Maybe that is where growth begins.
Not by pretending we are fearless.
But by recognizing the things that hold us back and gently asking whether they still deserve so much authority over our lives.
Sometimes the greatest adventures are not found at the end of a zip line.
Sometimes they begin with an honest conversation about the forests we carry within us.
Comments
Post a Comment