The Brightest Minds I've Met Were Never Introduced as Experts

Over the years, life has been generous to me.

It has allowed me to travel farther than I ever imagined when I was younger. I have lived and worked in different parts of Kenya. Work has taken me to Somaliland, Somalia, Ethiopia, Chad, and South Africa. I've walked the busy streets of Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, spent time in Indonesia, passed through Dubai and Qatar, visited Europe, and lived in the United States for several years.

Education has also shaped my journey. I hold a Master's degree in Instructional Design, and for a season, I even found myself in law school before choosing a different path.

Those experiences have exposed me to different cultures, systems, and ways of thinking. They have broadened my perspective in ways I continue to appreciate.

Yet, for all the places I have been and all the people I have met, one realization keeps returning to me.

Some of the most brilliant people I know have never held impressive titles.

In fact, many of them would never appear on a list of influential people. They are ordinary Kenyans going about ordinary lives.

Every so often, I watch someone being interviewed on the side of a road about politics or the economy. The expectation is usually that the answers will be shallow or emotional.

Instead, I find myself listening to insights that are balanced, thoughtful, and remarkably well reasoned. Sometimes I have to replay the interview just to appreciate what was said.

It reminds me that wisdom doesn't always wear a suit.

My work has given me the privilege of interacting with people from every walk of life. Construction workers. Farmhands. Security guards. Drivers. Boda boda riders. Mechanics. Casual labourers.

The more conversations I have with them, the more convinced I become that we often underestimate the people around us.

A casual conversation over tea can suddenly become a discussion on economics. A site meeting somehow turns into a lesson on engineering or leadership. Someone who has never stood behind a university lectern explains a problem with such clarity that everyone else simply nods.

It has happened so many times that I no longer find it unusual.

I simply expect to learn something from almost everyone I meet.

One experience comes back to me often.

There are occasions when I've taken my vehicle to mechanics in remote parts of Tharaka Nithi. Some of these places have rough roads, limited infrastructure, and unreliable electricity.

Yet in those modest workshops, I have watched mechanics diagnose and repair modern vehicles filled with electronic systems that would intimidate many people.

No expensive diagnostic centres.

No polished reception desks.

Just years of experience, curiosity, observation, and determination.

Every time I leave one of those workshops, I carry more than a repaired vehicle. I leave with another reminder that talent is distributed much more evenly than opportunity.

That thought has stayed with me.

We often ask what Kenya lacks.

Is it intelligence?

I don't think so.

Is it education?

Not entirely.

Everywhere I look, I see capable people solving difficult problems with very little. I see innovation where resources are scarce. I see resilience where circumstances should have produced despair.

Perhaps our greatest challenge isn't producing intelligent people.

Perhaps it is recognising them.

Perhaps we have become too accustomed to measuring ability through certificates, offices, titles, and social status that we overlook the quiet genius working beside us every day.

I sometimes wonder how many inventors are repairing motorcycles in village centres.

How many economists are running kiosks.

How many engineers are supervising construction sites without ever being called engineers.

How many entrepreneurs simply needed one person to believe in an idea.

These are questions I don't have answers to.

But I think they are worth asking.

Because if our greatest resource is the intelligence of our people, then our future depends less on discovering new talent and more on creating opportunities for the talent that already exists.

That is a very different conversation.

And perhaps, a much more hopeful one.

Life has taught me that greatness is rarely announced. More often, it is quietly at work in places we have learned to overlook.

Maybe Kenya's next breakthrough is already here.

Maybe we simply haven't noticed it yet.

Life rarely ends when a chapter closes; it simply hands you a blank page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road Doesn't Lie

The Hyena That Became Too Refined

Are You Seated Where You Are?