The Mandela Effect and the Stories We Swear Are True
A few evenings ago, after another long day moving between construction sites, I found myself doing what many of us do when the body is tired but the mind refuses to cooperate.
I picked up my phone.
One video led to another, and before long I found myself watching a discussion about something called the Mandela Effect.
If you have never heard of it, the idea is surprisingly simple. It describes those strange moments when large numbers of people confidently remember something that never actually happened—or at least, not the way they remember it.
The name comes from a curious belief shared by many people that Nelson Mandela died in prison during the 1980s. Except he didn't. He was released, became President of South Africa, and lived for many years afterward.
Apparently, thousands of people remember a funeral that never took place.
The more examples I listened to, the more amused I became.
Some people insist famous movie lines were spoken one way when recordings prove otherwise.
Others remember logos that never existed.
Children's books with titles that were apparently different from the ones sitting on their own bookshelves.
I laughed.
Then I stopped laughing.
Because I realized this wasn't really about movie quotes or cereal boxes.
It was about us.
Construction has taught me that memory is a curious thing.
Ask five people why a project fell behind schedule and you will receive six different versions of the story.
The client remembers one conversation.
The contractor remembers another.
The engineer has minutes from the meeting.
The fundi remembers what he was told at tea break.
Everyone is convinced they are telling the truth.
Perhaps they are.
Memory is less like a CCTV camera and more like a painter.
Every time we revisit a memory, we add another brushstroke.
Sometimes we brighten the colours.
Sometimes we quietly paint over details that make us uncomfortable.
Sometimes we accidentally improve our own performance while editing someone else's.
I have seen the same thing happen in families.
Two siblings grow up in the same house.
Years later, one describes a happy childhood.
The other remembers loneliness.
Who is right?
Perhaps both are.
Not because the facts are identical, but because experiences are.
The same event can leave two entirely different fingerprints.
It reminded me of a conversation I once had with an elderly gentleman back in Mukinyai, the small village where I grew up.
He laughed as he recalled events from decades earlier.
His younger brother, sitting beside him, interrupted every few minutes.
"That isn't how it happened."
"Oh yes it is."
"No, it isn't."
Before long, they were both laughing harder than they were arguing.
Listening to them, it occurred to me that neither was lying.
Time had simply been editing their memories in different ways.
Perhaps we all carry our own private Mandela Effects.
The friend who "never called."
Maybe they did.
The apology we are certain never came.
Perhaps it did, but not in the form we expected.
The teacher who "never believed in me."
The parent who "always favoured my brother."
The colleague who "promised."
Sometimes those memories are accurate.
Sometimes they are stories that have quietly evolved with every retelling.
That realization has made me slower to argue.
Not because truth doesn't matter.
Truth matters enormously.
But certainty deserves a little humility.
I have learned to ask myself a simple question before insisting that my version is the only version.
"Am I remembering this... or am I remembering the story I've been telling myself about it?"
That question has saved me from more than one unnecessary disagreement.
It has also made me more forgiving.
Because if my own memory is capable of quietly rearranging the furniture, perhaps other people's memories are doing the same.
The older I become, the less interested I am in winning arguments about yesterday.
I'd rather understand people today.
Perhaps that is one of life's quietest lessons.
We rarely see the world exactly as it is.
We see it as we remember it.
And memory, like an old storyteller around a village fire, has a habit of polishing every tale before passing it on.
Maybe that is why grace is so important.
Not because facts don't matter.
But because people do.
And sometimes the greatest wisdom is admitting that we may not remember everything quite as perfectly as we think we do.
After all, even our own minds occasionally rewrite the script.
Life rarely ends when a chapter closes; it simply hands you a blank page.
Comments
Post a Comment