Why Villages Never Really Forget
I come from Mukinyai, a small village tucked away in Nakuru County.
Like many Kenyan villages, it doesn't appear on most people's travel plans. If you blink while driving past the turnoff, you'll probably miss it. Yet for those of us who call it home, it is the centre of a thousand memories.
Every time I travel back, I slow down a little.
Not because the road demands it—although in some sections it certainly does—but because the village has a way of taking me back to a simpler time.
The old paths are still there.
A few of the mud houses still stand, quietly resisting the passage of time. Children still chase each other through compounds with the same energy we once had. The hills seem smaller now, though I suspect they haven't changed at all. It is only my perspective that has.
One thing, however, has never changed.
Villages have remarkable memories.
In the city, anonymity is surprisingly easy.
You can move into an apartment, greet your neighbours with polite nods for three years, and move out without anyone knowing your second name.
You can reinvent yourself.
You can fail quietly.
You can succeed quietly.
You can disappear into the crowd.
A village offers no such luxury.
In Mukinyai, people may not know your job title, but they certainly know your father.
Or your mother.
Or your grandfather.
You are rarely introduced as an individual.
You are introduced through a story.
"That's so-and-so's son."
"She's the granddaughter of..."
"Their family lived near the old fig tree."
There is something both comforting and terrifying about that.
Comforting because you belong.
Terrifying because your reputation arrives before you do.
When I was younger, I thought this was unfair.
Why should I be judged by what my family had done?
Why should my mistakes become tomorrow's discussion at places where I wasn't even present?
Then I grew older.
And I began to see the hidden wisdom.
Character is rarely built in dramatic moments.
It is built quietly.
One promise kept.
One debt repaid.
One neighbour helped.
One truth told when a lie would have been easier.
Those small actions accumulate.
Just like interest in a savings account.
You don't notice the growth every day.
But give it enough years, and everyone notices the result.
The same is true of the opposite.
A reputation for dishonesty is also built one small decision at a time.
One shortcut.
One broken promise.
One betrayal.
One excuse after another.
Eventually, people stop expecting different.
Construction has taught me this lesson repeatedly.
Concrete does not suddenly become strong on the day the building is completed.
Its strength develops gradually.
Layer by layer.
Day by day.
Character behaves much the same way.
By the time a crisis arrives, your response has already been shaped by hundreds of smaller choices nobody saw.
Perhaps that is why villages never really forget.
They are not keeping records.
They are remembering patterns.
They have watched people over decades.
They remember who showed up when a family lost a loved one.
Who quietly paid school fees for a neighbour's child.
Who borrowed and never returned.
Who spoke kindly.
Who treated others with dignity when nobody important was watching.
Those stories become part of the village's unwritten history.
Of course, villages are not perfect.
Sometimes they remember things they should forgive.
Sometimes rumours travel faster than truth.
And if there were Olympic medals for gossip, I suspect a few villages would qualify for international competition.
But beneath all that lies something valuable.
They remind us that our lives are connected.
That our choices ripple beyond ourselves.
That character is not something we put on for interviews or church on Sunday.
It is who we become when nobody is grading us.
These days, we live in a world obsessed with image.
We carefully edit photographs.
We polish our social media profiles.
We announce promotions, holidays, and achievements.
Nothing wrong with that.
But I sometimes wonder what would happen if LinkedIn endorsements were replaced by endorsements from the people who watched us grow up.
The elderly neighbour who saw how we treated our parents.
The shopkeeper who trusted us before we had money.
The teacher who remembers whether we accepted responsibility or blamed everyone else.
Those references would be difficult to fake.
As I drive through Mukinyai today, many of the people who knew me as a boy have grown old.
Some are no longer with us.
Yet I still feel an unspoken responsibility.
Not because I fear what people will say.
But because I have come to understand that a good name is one of the few things that appreciates with age.
Money comes and goes.
Businesses rise and fall.
Titles change.
Positions are given and taken away.
But a reputation built patiently over many years becomes an inheritance that benefits not only you, but also those who come after you.
Perhaps that is why villages never really forget.
They understand something cities often overlook.
A person's greatest introduction is not their résumé.
It is their character.
And character, much like compound interest, rewards those who invest in it consistently and patiently.
Long after people forget what we owned, they will remember how we lived.
That, I think, is a legacy worth building.
Life rarely ends when a chapter closes; it simply hands you a blank page.
Comments
Post a Comment