The Mosquito That Didn't Read the Brochure
There are few pleasures in life quite like checking into a really good hotel after a long day on the road.
If you travel often, you know the feeling.
You pull into the parking lot tired, slightly dusty, and already thinking about a hot shower and a proper night's sleep. At that point, your expectations are fairly modest. A clean room, a comfortable bed, hot water and perhaps decent Wi-Fi. Anything beyond that feels like a bonus.
A few nights ago, work brought me to Nakuru, and I booked a hotel on the Milimani side of town.
From the moment I walked through the reception, I knew the online brochure had undersold the place.
The photographs had tried.
Reality was better.
The architect had clearly been having a very good season in life. The interior designer, I concluded, must have spent a few afternoons in heaven taking notes.
Everything simply worked.
The lighting was warm without trying too hard.
The furniture was elegant without becoming pretentious.
The room felt less like accommodation and more like an apology from the hospitality industry for all the disappointing hotels I had previously endured.
There are also small privileges that come with travelling alone.
Nobody is negotiating which side of the bed belongs to whom.
Nobody wants the air conditioner warmer while you secretly prefer Antarctica.
You answer to no one except the alarm clock.
After dinner, I enjoyed a long bath in a magnificent tub that seemed specifically designed to persuade weary travellers that all was well with the world.
For a brief moment, I believed it.
Wrapped in complete comfort, I settled onto the couch just in time to watch England's hopes of reaching the 2026 FIFA World Cup final disappear at the hands of Argentina.
As a neutral observer, I felt just enough sympathy for the English to appreciate their disappointment, but not enough to lose any sleep over it.
As it turns out, I would lose sleep anyway.
By the time I climbed into bed, I was wonderfully relaxed.
The mattress was perfect.
The pillows deserved their own award.
The room temperature was exactly right.
Within minutes, I was drifting towards that delightful place between consciousness and dreams, somewhere around the second verse of God Save the King.
Then...
Bzzzzzz...
There are sounds that immediately command your attention.
A fire alarm.
A crying child.
Your bank calling unexpectedly.
And then there is the unmistakable midnight anthem of a mosquito.
It is astonishing how something weighing less than a paperclip can suddenly become the most powerful creature in the room.
The hotel still had the beautiful décor.
The luxurious bathroom remained exactly where it had been.
The expensive mattress had not changed.
Neither had the elegant curtains or the carefully chosen lighting.
Nothing was different.
Except one tiny insect had quietly announced that, for the remainder of the night, it would now be in charge.
I switched on the lights.
Nothing.
I switched them off.
Bzzzzzz...
I covered myself completely.
It found my ear.
I uncovered one foot.
It apparently considered that an invitation.
At some point, I found myself standing in the middle of a beautifully designed hotel room at two o'clock in the morning, clapping enthusiastically at empty air like a man trying to applaud invisible musicians.
The mosquito, meanwhile, displayed remarkable confidence.
It never panicked.
It simply circled patiently, fully aware that sleep would eventually become the weaker negotiator.
By morning, I had reached an unexpected conclusion.
Comfort is a surprisingly fragile thing.
We spend years pursuing bigger houses, better cars, finer hotels and softer beds, imagining that happiness lives somewhere inside luxury.
Yet a tiny mosquito can quietly expose the limits of all those things.
It made me wonder how often life works the same way.
We chase the grand improvements.
A larger office.
A better title.
A newer phone.
Another investment.
Believing that if we can just make life a little more comfortable, contentment will naturally follow.
Then along comes something small.
A careless remark.
A worrying medical report.
An unanswered phone call.
A misunderstanding.
A restless night.
Suddenly, the things we thought mattered most fade quietly into the background.
Perhaps peace has never depended as much on our surroundings as we like to believe.
Perhaps contentment is less about eliminating every inconvenience and more about learning which inconveniences deserve our attention.
I still think that hotel was one of the nicest I have stayed in.
The food was excellent.
The room was beautiful.
The service was warm.
I would gladly stay there again.
Although next time, I might arrive with one additional travelling companion.
Mosquito spray.
It seems even five-star comfort occasionally needs a very small bodyguard.
Sometimes life reminds us that luxury is measured by what we have.
Peace, however, is often determined by the smallest things we overlook.
Comments
Post a Comment