The Day a Trench Became a Teacher

Construction has a funny way of reminding you that the work we build with our hands often teaches us lessons about people, expectations, and human nature.

Recently, I was supervising the construction of a perimeter wall. Like most things in construction, the finished wall is what people notice.

The straight lines.

The neat masonry.

The final coat of paint.

Nobody ever looks at a beautiful perimeter wall and says, "What an impressive trench!"

Yet, before the first block is laid, there is usually a less glamorous part of the journey.

Digging.

The foundation trench.

The part where people work in the soil, under the sun, doing the kind of work that rarely receives compliments but determines whether everything above ground will stand for years.

For this particular project, I have a group of regular casual workers I have worked with over time. They understand the site, they know my expectations, and we have developed a comfortable working relationship.

Like many relationships, there is an understanding built over time.

They know what I pay for daily masonry work.

I know the quality of work they deliver.

There is a rhythm.

Then came the trench.

And suddenly, the rhythm changed.

The team looked at the excavation work and decided it belonged to a different category.

They informed me that they were not willing to do the trench work under the normal daily wage arrangement.

They wanted contract rates instead.

I listened.

I understood their perspective.

Digging trenches is not the most glamorous job on a construction site. It is physically demanding. It involves soil, sweat, and occasionally discovering stones placed by nature many years ago simply to test the patience of anyone holding a shovel.

But I also had to consider the project requirements and the arrangements we had always worked under.

After discussing it, we could not reach an agreement.

So they made their choice.

They declined the work.

And I made mine.

I decided to bring in another team.

Within a short time, I found a group that was willing to take on the job under the agreed daily rates.

They came in.

They dug.

The foundation continued.

The project moved forward.

Simple.

Or so I thought.

A few days later, messages started coming.

Not from the original workers directly.

Through friends.

Through colleagues.

Through the traditional African communication system we all know very well—the trusted messenger who appears with a serious face and says, "You know, they are asking if you can reconsider."

It made me smile.

Because life has a way of changing perspectives.

The same trench that was considered unacceptable a few days earlier had suddenly become an attractive opportunity.

The work had not changed.

The soil had not become softer.

The shovel had not become lighter.

Only the circumstances had changed.

I have thought about this experience several times.

Not just from a construction perspective, but from a human perspective.

How often do we reject opportunities because they do not appear in the form we expected?

How often do we undervalue something because it doesn't match our preferred version of success?

Sometimes we are not saying no to the work itself.

We are saying no to the conditions attached to it.

And sometimes that decision is right.

There are moments when people must stand up for their value.

There are situations where better terms should be negotiated.

That is part of growth.

But there is also wisdom in understanding seasons.

A job today may not be the perfect opportunity, but it may be the bridge to tomorrow's opportunity.

The trench is not the wall.

It is simply the foundation.

And perhaps life works the same way.

Many of the things that prepare us for greater opportunities are not glamorous.

They are the early mornings.

The difficult conversations.

The uncomfortable assignments.

The jobs nobody celebrates.

The experiences that build our strength quietly beneath the surface.

A building does not stand because of the beauty people see.

It stands because of the foundation they rarely notice.

I don't know what the future holds for my former team.

Perhaps our paths will cross again.

Perhaps we will work together in another season.

Life is long, and construction sites have a way of bringing people back together.

For now, I hope they find opportunities that match their expectations and needs.

And perhaps all of us can learn something from that little trench.

Sometimes the work we are most eager to avoid is the very work that prepares us for where we are trying to go.

After all, even the tallest walls begin with someone willing to dig a hole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road Doesn't Lie

The Hyena That Became Too Refined

Are You Seated Where You Are?