Sweet Annie and the Miles We Carry
Every now and then, a song finds you at exactly the right moment.
Not because you were looking for it.
But because life quietly prepared you to hear it differently.
A few evenings ago, while driving home after another long day, Sweet Annie by the Zac Brown Band came on. I had heard it before, but this time I wasn't really listening to the melody. I was listening to the story.
It is a simple song.
A man spends much of his life on the road, chasing work and responsibilities. He knows the distance has taken a toll, yet he also knows there is someone waiting for him with patience, grace, and more understanding than he probably deserves.
There is something deeply ordinary about that story.
And perhaps that is why it feels so extraordinary.
We often celebrate the people who leave.
The entrepreneur building a business.
The contractor moving from one project to another.
The truck driver crossing continents.
The soldier.
The missionary.
The consultant.
The executive forever boarding another flight.
We admire the movement.
We applaud the achievement.
What we rarely notice are the people who stay behind.
The ones who keep life moving while someone else is away.
For much of my life, I have spent more time on the road than I ever imagined I would. Construction projects have taken me across Kenya and beyond. Farming has drawn me to places where dawn arrives before the alarm clock. Work has introduced me to airports, highways, dusty tracks, and hotel rooms that all begin to look strangely familiar after a while.
Roads have a peculiar way of convincing you that movement is the same thing as progress.
Sometimes it is.
Sometimes it simply means you've become very good at unpacking the same suitcase.
The people waiting at home experience time differently.
They don't measure life by departure lounges or hotel check-ins.
They measure it by birthdays missed.
Phone calls that end too quickly.
Meals eaten alone.
The empty chair that quietly says, "He's working again."
I have come to believe that patience is one of the least celebrated expressions of love.
It doesn't make dramatic announcements.
It doesn't demand applause.
It simply keeps showing up.
Day after day.
Week after week.
Sometimes with little recognition.
It reminds me of farming.
When you plant a fruit tree, there is very little excitement after the first day. You water it. Protect it. Wait. For months, it appears as though very little is happening.
Yet beneath the surface, roots are quietly doing the work that fruit will one day reveal.
Relationships are often like that.
The strongest ones are rarely built on grand romantic gestures.
They are built on ordinary faithfulness.
On choosing each other again and again through seasons that don't make interesting stories.
Of course, waiting is not always romantic.
Anyone who has waited for a contractor to finish a project, a government office to process paperwork, or Kenyan traffic to suddenly become reasonable knows that patience has its limits.
There is a difference between waiting with hope and simply waiting.
That is what struck me about Sweet Annie.
The song isn't asking us to glorify absence.
It is reminding us to acknowledge its cost.
Every dream asks someone to sacrifice.
Sometimes it is the person chasing the dream.
Sometimes it is the person quietly supporting it.
More often than not, it is both.
As I have grown older, I find myself asking different questions.
Not just, "What am I building?"
But also, "Who is carrying part of the weight while I build it?"
Success has a curious habit.
It allows us to count contracts signed.
Businesses started.
Farms expanded.
Countries visited.
Projects completed.
Yet it rarely records the evenings someone waited for us to come home.
Or the conversations postponed because work could not wait.
Or the quiet understanding that never appeared on a balance sheet.
Those things matter too.
Perhaps more than we realise.
Listening to Sweet Annie, I found myself appreciating not only the man singing the song, but also the Annie in the story.
Every successful person has an Annie.
Sometimes she is a wife.
Sometimes he is a husband.
Sometimes it is a parent, a friend, a sibling, or a business partner.
Someone who quietly believes in us while asking for very little in return.
They may never stand on the stage.
But they helped build it.
Maybe that is why songs like this endure.
They remind us that behind many remarkable journeys is someone whose greatest act of love was simply refusing to stop believing in another person.
If you are fortunate enough to have someone like that in your life, don't wait for the perfect occasion to tell them they matter.
The road will always offer another destination.
Another meeting.
Another project.
Another deadline.
Another reason to leave.
The people waiting at the end of the journey are far rarer.
As the song faded and the road stretched quietly ahead, I found myself thinking about all the journeys we celebrate and the ones we rarely acknowledge.
We count the miles we've travelled, the projects we've completed, the countries we've visited, and the dreams we've chased.
Perhaps we should also count the people who waited.
The ones who quietly carried home while we carried ambition.
The ones who understood that sometimes love is measured less by the time spent together than by the faith that someone will return.
If life has taught me anything, it is that every road gives us something.
Some give us experience.
Others give us opportunity.
A few introduce us to people who change us forever.
But every road asks for something in return.
And as I listened to Sweet Annie, I couldn't help but realise that while the road has taken me to remarkable places...
...it has also put miles in my heart.
Comments
Post a Comment